Monday, February 4, 2019

The ABC Murders on Prime:They Have Murdered Hercule Poirot

I suppose there are people who think that turning Agatha Christie on her head and showing how ghastly the world really is adds something to literature (or in this case, the silver screen) . I am not amongst them. I still can’t believe I sat through the whole ghastly production. If you are the kind of person who think there should be Nazi Stormtroopers in “My Fair Lady” than this is something you might like. If you can believe Poirot was a priest in the Great War than this could be your cup of Earl Grey. There are detectives who who lead us into the London world of Jack the Ripper, but Agatha Christie took us into country houses where many people were Lords and Ladies. After I finished my dissertation, I read as much Agatha Christie as I could. I wanted to escape into this idealized England as far as I could (you know from my latest blog that would be too hard for me to do today.) Agatha Christie doesn’t represent enlightenment, she represents pleasant escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment