Monday, April 22, 2019

Mitt Romney's Mother, his Father, And American Decency

In 1968, as a UPI reporter in New Hampshire, I spent a day driving around Lenore Romney, Mitt Romney's mother. It was a delightful day and I was deeply impressed by her integrity. It was a great day for me. I was 23 and wished I'd had her to guide me in my upbringing. Her husband, George Romney was the Governor of Michigan and a no-nonsense, straight talking man. He was someone you could respect. Therefore there is no surprise that Mitt Romney spoke out to register how sleazy he thought Trump and his colleagues looked in the Mueller Report. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and one understands how appalled Romney was. He is the only Republican to speak out on this. It would be lucky for America if he ran for President in the primary against Trump. I love the way he sings the last verse of America. O Beautiful for Patriots Dreams that see beyond the Years, thy Alabaster Cities Gleam undimmed by human tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment