Friday, April 19, 2019

Hiking Toward Insight and Renewal

For many years I hiked the Backbone Trail and its offshoots in Southern California. Then I owned a  horse (a thoroughbred-warmblood) and rode trails north of La Canada. Especially in the hikes I felt rejuvenated and gained insights into problems that bedeviled me. Now that I'm disabled, I take pleasure in books by the Hillermans  (Tony, the father, and Anne, his daughter). They write about members of the Navajo Tribal Police and how nature shapes so much of the way these individuals (Leaphorn, Chee, and Manuelito) feel tied into nature as they go about detecting. They gain insights and renewal from their Navajo way of looking at the world. But, it isn't just Navajos (the Dine) who can gain from this. I frequently felt the world was lifted from my shoulders and I gained understanding from these hikes. Perhaps, it might be the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment