Saturday, November 10, 2018

Why I Love Syracuse

When I was in High School I sold hot dogs in Archbold Stadium as Ernie Davis ran for the Heisman Trophy. I already loved Syracuse before I gained admission. Once at Syracuse I was taken under the wing of Jim G. Carleton, the Vice Chancellor of student affairs, a man it was easy to admire. When the University of Oklahoma admitted a Black student, Jim was the only guy who’d bring him his meals. For four years he’d bring the meals and then sit down and talk with him when he finished eating. Jim was his link with decency as others pretended he wasn’t there. Jim taught me how much ethics mattered. When I went for my doctorate from the Maxwell School he was there for me. He eventually became Vice President at Nortwestern and continued to help me make the tough decisions over the phone. Syracuse has gone a long time without being ranked in th top 25 in football. But with Dino Barbers, Syracuse has found a coach with heart who represents the goodness of the school I love. Syracuse is first in my heart and I’m glad I stuck around long enough to watch it recover football greatness

No comments:

Post a Comment