Sunday, January 25, 2015

Benefits Of Chinese Characters



There is a beauty in Chinese characters that I find fascinating. I began to memorize Hanzi as part of learning to speak Chinese. The way I originally memorized them was not the proper way to acquire a lasting knowledge. I've begun to go back and memorize the order of the strokes a calligraphy brush uses to create each character.
Since I started learning Chinese in my 60s, I'm well past the time most people pick up languages. But the great thing about learning Chinese characters is that it provides a backup neural network in case anything goes wrong with your brain. Characters are kept in a different part of the brain from the letters we use in the West. So you're building a brain with more failsafe options.
In addition, I was just reading about the famous cellist, Yo-Yo Ma, and realized his name means horse, friend – friend. For some reason that picked up my day

No comments:

Post a Comment