Thursday, November 4, 2010

Happy Deepavali

Today is Deepavali in Singapore. While it’s a Hindu and Sikh holiday celebrating the victory of good over evil, it also seems to represent tolerance for different races who live together successfully in that Island Nation.
I was thinking how great it would be if every country had such a holiday that made us all seem worthwhile to our fellow citizens of the globe.
When I was younger I believed that by now White and African Americans would be intermarrying and no one would even comment on it.  I believed in a world in which everyone would be valued equally.
As I think of the people of Singapore lighting lamps in this Festival of Lights, I think of so many places where race is pitted against race or religion is pitted against religion. These places should all have a Holiday in which the equality of all would be celebrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment