Tuesday, March 19, 2019

We Call Each Other "Compadre"

I have a friend who is one of the finest people I've ever known. He is Latino and a gardener. Last year when his wife was going through cancer treatment I helped him out financially. This summer (if I'm able to function) I'll be helping his  high-school-age sons out with English grammar and composition. He explained to me today that a compadre in Mexico is close to a family and that person steps in to help a family. I can't tell you how much this means to me. Oliver Wendell Holmes said "to live is to function." Helping people out was why I was a college professor. When I was a University Vice President there the number of African Americans was equal to that of Latinos. Now the school is 65 per cent Latino. I asked a colleague where the Black students go to school. She said they don't go, which made me quite sad. But getting back to my compadre, I feel so good talking with him. He has told me how wonderful his father was and I told him the billboard that said Latino to me said "leche" (milk) on it. Trump is a dickhead who doesn't understand how many great Latinos I've known. He would rather stir up race hatred than say positive things abour our great Latino immigrants

No comments:

Post a Comment