Sunday, June 26, 2016

Chinese Immigrants for Trump


I've had some disturbing conversations with some of my Chinese friends lately. They tell me they're going to vote for Trump, and I can't seem to talk them out of it.

They waited in line in China to get visas to come to America. They are the kind of people who work really hard at difficult jobs. They love being Americans.

They see Latinos coming to America without visas and staying forever.

Since the idea of their voting for Trump bothers me greatly, I try to explain how Trump would've been the kind of guy to tell the "no tikkie, no washie" jokes about Chinese-Americans. I try to explain that the old America he seems to want to return to, was a place where Chinese were treated badly.

But they see  they had to follow the rules to immigrate here, but Latinos don't. Stories are spread about Latinos who are illegal receiving Obama care. Of course it's not true. But they believe it.

All of a sudden, I'm worried. I understand now how demagogues work.

No, I'm not worried. I'm scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment