Thursday, February 11, 2016

America and Its Changing Social Geography


America is constantly changing. For travelers from other countries who have views about what they want to see, it's important that they bring themselves up-to-date. For example no matter what the recruiters tell you, if you're Chinese you should never go to the University of Southern California, because the area is very dangerous. If you grew up on the Motown sound, you'd probably be surprised that Detroit is where the American dream ended.

When I was young, Stockton, California, was a great city.

Lodi, California, the next town over, was infamous because of the John Fogerty song:

                if I only had a dollar for every song I've song

                and every time I've had to play while people sat there drunk

                you know I'd catch the next train back to where I live

                O  Lord I'm stuck in Lodi again

Today, because Stockton is a city that declared bankruptcy and can't afford to pay cops the new joke is:

The best part of Stockton is Lodi.

Keeping up on a dysfunctional America is crucial if you're going to visit here. America, she'll keep changing on you

No comments:

Post a Comment