Friday, May 16, 2014

Nigerian Girls: These are Our Daughters



The video of the abducted Nigerian girls sent a shudder down my spine. Because I believed what I was taught in Sunday school about Jesus loving all the children, and because for 30 years Black students represented 40% of the students in my classes, I was programmed to respond. They were my children. They were our children.
The mother of Abubaker Shekau, the leader of Boko Harum, believes her son is insane. Shekau's Islamic insurgency kidnapped 276 schoolgirls in April. He took them from a boarding school in northern Nigeria. He is a megalomaniac who loves to be in the news.
Because these girls have been captured by a psycho, there is no way to tell what might end up happening to them. The Nigerian government seems to be doing nothing to rescue them. I'm sure the best of us believe these are our daughters. If it takes an international effort to bring them home safely, then it should be done. This is just not Nigeria's problem, it is a problem for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment