Thursday, November 1, 2012

Obama/Christie and a Renewed Hope for America



It was the America I was brought up to believe in.
I've always liked Chris Christie, whose honesty I found refreshing although I didn't agree with him politically. His effusive praise of Pres. Obama's cooperation with New Jersey officials was a great thing. The Obama administration had gone all out on hurricanes Sandy and Christie appreciated it.
The president had clearly been impressed by Christie's amazing performance as governor in a dire situation and wasn't afraid to laud his accomplishments.
The situation reminded me of  the time when senators from both sides of the aisle would set down with Sen.Richard  Russell and try to figure out what was best for the nation. America was once bipartisan when it needed to be.
I'm not counting on this attitude continuing, but I was reminded of the days right after 9/11 when we were all one people, responding to a national disaster.
$6 billion has been spent on this presidential campaign and for some contested House seats. Much of it was spent on  spreading  half-truths.
However the Christie/Obama  experience yesterday gives me renewed hope for the country that has given me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment