Thursday, August 16, 2012

Anti-Semitism On The Rise



I just saw a chart in "The Economist" that shows anti-Semitism is on the rise across the globe.
I was not surprised that 60% of Hungarians believe the anti-Semitic stereotypes.
A few years ago I traveled to Hungary with some fine people who had been born there and had lived through the Holocaust. Their relatives told stories of cabdrivers saying, "I don't carry Jews." The head of Hungary, who had a German last name, took time to announce, "I am not a Jew."
During the Holocaust, the Arrow Cross, Hungary's fascist killers, were more brutal than the Nazis themselves.
But it isn't only in Hungary that anti-Semitism is flourishing. I once asked a Pole, who was a professor at an American university, why anti Semitism is still strong in Poland. He denied it and told me, "all Jews lie."
This kind of thinking ended up causing the deaths of 6 million people. Has everyone already forgotten?

No comments:

Post a Comment