Thursday, January 17, 2019

My Wonderful Chinese Friends

Now that we’ve heard from Kai Fu Lee and his glorification of these take no prisoners internet entrepreneurs, I’d like to talk about the wonderful Chinese friends who have made my life better. Chinese that I know take friendship very seriously. One of my friends made me The Godfather to his son, Ethan. When I couldn’t get to Beijing to see him, he flew to Nanjing and we talked for a couple of hours.
Some friends just came to visit us and, because she knew I loved it, brought me a lot of Long Jing Cha (Dragon Well Tea). It was great to have them here and because she teaches acupuncture at a prestigious university, took out the disposable needles she travels with and worked on me because my disability involves a lot of pain.
I won’t be able to travel anymore, I hope you’ll find the joy I felt visiting China. You should always bring a gift when you visit the home of a friend. The most common gifts are tea or scarves (so they probably have a closet full already) so come up with something original. Be yourself, it has worked very well for me, and you can get close to someone Chinese much faster than in America where many people have different masks to put on to protect themselves . Friendships are formed quickly. If you know how cold Los Angeles is, be prepared for a different world.

No comments:

Post a Comment