Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Compassion for Melania


Over the last couple of years, I've gotten to know a fine family. The attractive daughter was disabled in a car accident. Her parents sit on the chairs outside the pool where we do aquatic physical therapy. The mom's maiden name was Turner, so I always ask them when they're going to take me to the Turner family reunion. When the dad isn't wearing Negro league T-shirts, he wears shirts that say Turner family reunion.

I ran into them yesterday as they were leaving physical therapy and I was on the way in. I asked them if they'd heard the most recent Melania Trump quote? I'd just read it on the internet. It went, "when I was a little Black girl growing up on the South side of Chicago."

First the mother said, "I feel so sorry for that woman." The daughter said, "I feel the same way."

I was humbled by their comments. Trump is a hater, who treats minorities with disdain. He has made it okay for white supremacists to spew their vitriol and support him.

But these wonderful people felt sorry for what happened to his wife. They represent the America I believed in. Their compassion gives me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment